So far so good :) This is another study with the orange, only this time I messed around with the shading method and retried the watercolour pencils. I figured out part of my problem with the pencils was simply that the orange does not blend very well :-o
There are three pictures here, one large one with some ink contour shading (or an attempt LOL) and watercolour pencils, one ink with contour shading and one pencil sketch. The pencil sketch came about because I was having issues figuring out values in my contour shading and cross hatch sketch. The pencil drawing helped me figure it out somewhat :D I was less than pleased with the initial ink sketch (top right) and used the pencil drawing to figure out the values for it. Then what I learned, I used in the colourised picture on the left. The addition of some yellow and green watercolours seemed to help those pencils blend better this time, when I added water!