Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Everyday in May #6

Today's picture is from my garden, where the peas are in bloom. I have lots of vegetables growing there, but I always look forward to peas. Peas bring back memories of helping my mother shell the fresh picked pods when I was a child. I don't think we ended up with many to cook as we loved to eat them raw! In fact I still do... and I introduced the kids to the fresh delicacy last year!

Click for a better quality picture!

Thomas Jefferson used to have a race with his friend (and fellow president) James Madison, to see who could grow the first peas. The winner would provide dinner for the other, serving the peas! I have no race here, but I do look forward to the fresh peas :)

12 comments:

  1. This is really nice, Rachel! I hope to do some painting in my garden as well. Enjoy your peas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm fresh peas ... There is nothing tastier! Really fresh, lovely sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd be welcome to come... I am not sure whether you'd get many peas ;)
    I'll definitely blog them when they come though (I'm figuring a couple of weeks and the first pods will be filling out).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black eyed peas are my favorite? Do you grow those? I can't find them fresh anywhere in Virginia?

    You know, we do both live in Virginia, we really should meet somewhere some day. We do do a joint Mothers and Daughter at home event, now wouldn't that be fun?????

    Hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never grown BE peas BUT if you get the dried ones from the store you can plant them :) Most of those will grow quite well (we grew Limas that way last year ;)).
    I have never yet found them fresh.

    We should get together, a group Mother-Daughter thing WOULD be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post, loved the little bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, I meant "could do", not, my events are not "do do". It's been a long week (and it's only Tuesday!)

    Hugs,
    Kim

    p.s. Lets talk more about this joint event! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brings me back to my Grandpa's garden and memories of picking peas with him. You are right...not many actually got inside. They are great right out of the pod! Lovely drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to grow peas too - we must have needed an awful lot for our family of 7. These sketches will prompt lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely journal page, and it was fun to read the history tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love peas almost as much as I adore the sweet pea flower, you captured the ruffled petal perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.