Thursday, October 04, 2007

Autumn Meme

HT to Dawn who created it!

A Fall Meme

When does fall begin for you? Autumn begins for me (native Englishwoman that I am) at the beginning of September. Here in Virginia it is more like the end of October!

What is your favorite aspect of fall? My birthday, foggy days, falling leaves, wind, bonfires, conkers and acorn collecting...

What is your favorite fall memory? OOOh, I cant think of one. I liked playing conkers and collecting acorns. I think it was more the birthday thing that drove me though ;)

What do you like to drink in the fall? Right now, anything cold (it's still hot here). Once it gets cold, hot chocolate. I do like the 'punch' (Americans call it hot cider LOL) that other people make ;)

What's your favorite fall food? Soup, I love soup. Potato cheddar soup is good, and black bean soup is delicious! I also LOVE apple pie and apple crumble and my American treat is pumpkin pie. I had never eaten it before I came over. Also sweet potato pie...

What is fall weather like where you live? The days are warm the evenings cool. It is pretty much perfect here in Virginia. Although I am actually wishing for rain on my birthday this year... as a child my birthday ALWAYS seemed rainy!

What color is fall? Oranges, browns and reds, with hints of gold and deeper yellows.

What does fall smell like? Bonfires, wet leaves, frost.

Holiday shopping in fall: yes or no? Yes! I have to get presents to England which means mailing before Thanksgiving.

If you could go anywhere in the fall, where would you go? England! If I could only do a daytrip, then the Blue Ridge Mountains would work...

What is your favorite fall sport? Hate sport! Just not my cuppa tea!

Do you have a favorite fall chore? "autumn cleaning". I go through the house and tidy. I like it only because the house LOOKS tidy though... like certain other people I do not like to do chores very much!

What is your least favorite thing about fall? Definitely the days getting short. I LOVE the long summer days and really don't like the shorter winter ones. I can deal with the cold, but longer days would be MUCH nicer. (And when you grow up in England there is SO MUCH more of a difference!!)

What is your favorite fall holiday? Well, they are mostly new to me. We never celebrated Halloween or Thanksgiving back home. I LOVED Fireworks/Guy Fawkes Night. Since I don't get it here, I guess Thanksgiving is the next best thing ;)

What's your favorite kind of pie? Apple pie with ice cream and custard.

What was your favorite Halloween costume? I never dressed up for halloween... except for one year when a neighbour had a party. We went as witches (my sister and I) with little bat shaped masks for our faces. Mum made the costumes ;)

What was your favorite Halloween candy? Since we never trick or treated I will cheat and say my favourite 'candy' is hands down either mint or caramel filled chocolates. I also have a definite love of liqueur filled chocolates. As a kid I liked bounty bards (they are like mounds).

What was your least favorite Halloween candy? I hate candy corn. Disgusting. I also hate those butter flavoured hard 'candies'. Yeuch!

Which do you prefer, the Farm or the Fair? Never been to the fair. I do like the Fall Fiber Festival though.

Do you have a favorite fall book? Nope. I do like the flower fairy ones though... oh and Susan Branch's autumn book.

How about a favorite fall poem?

I really like this James Whitcomb Riley one, I start reciting it in autumn :) But you can see a whole bunch of autumnal poetry here. I LOVE that site! I also LOVE this Emily Dickinson poem.

XXVIII. AUTUMN.

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

Happy Autumn!


1 comment:

  1. Soup!! Ah... me too. Corn chowder. Yum!! It's been so warm in VA, that I forgot how much I love soup in the fall!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.