Friday, May 04, 2007

BOOK REVIEW: The Birth House

The Birth House: By Ami Mckay

The Birth House is a well written account of a country midwife at the beginning of the 20th Century. The main protagonist, Dora Rare, is the narrator who takes us on a journey from her apprenticeship, through her early days as a midwife, and on to her latter years. The topic is quite interesting, although the description of life and events ‘back then’ lacks cohesiveness… the heroine, Dora Rare, is captured in a number of historical events (improbable) which serve to illustrate the time. Mckay has given Dora a definite modern feminist slant, which I cannot like, because of its unrealistic quality. Definitely a ‘feminist’ book. Points do have to be given for narrative quality though:

* * * 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.