Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cheese Scones

The first thing I ever made (by myself) was scones.  In fact it was this recipe, (my mother's)  It can be used for all sorts of variations of scones, and is as English as Mum and I are.  Which is to say very ;)
We never make a round and cut it into triangles for scones.  In fact I first saw that over here, and it was something I found quite perplexing until a food blogger mentioned it was all about less waste.  
Now, I am no Pioneer Woman, so you wont get amusing text or gorgeous pictures, you'll just have to make do with what I give you!
It truly is a very easy recipe!

Scones


Ingredients




2oz Butter, softened (4 Tbsp) I used salted
8oz Self Raising/Rising Flour (2 Cups, minus about 1 Tbsp)
3oz Extra Strong Cheddar Cheese, grated (that's about 1 cup, packed)
1/4 pint Milk (1/2 Cup)

Directions


Mix butter into flour, until you get coarse crumbs.  If you don't have a mixer, you can use a food processor, and if you don't have one of those either, you can use a hand mixer or mix by hand :)  At this point, I would just rub the butter into the flour to distribute it evenly.


Add cheese and mix well.  You can do this with a wooden spoon if you have to!


Add milk in a stream while you mix.  If you are mixing by hand, you can add a bit, then stir, then add a bit more if necessary.


Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.  You can pat it out if you don't have a rolling pin.


Cut out with cookie cutters.  If you don't have cookie cutters, use a glass, or pinch off some dough and shape it yourself.


I did it that way for a long time- the shaped ones don't look too bad :)



Place on parchment paper (or a greased pan)...


Brush with a little milk and bake in a 350F (gas mark 4, 176C) oven for about 115 minute or until lightly golden.


They are best if not very dark!  Serve warm... with butter.


This was how I served mine up- I like them best with butter melting all over them!


Yum!
There are several variations you can make.  Leave out the cheese.  Add 1oz Sugar and 2oz Dried Fruit for yummy fruit scones.  Or Add just 1oz Sugar for plain scones that taste wonderful with jam and clotted cream...



Cheese Scones

Ingredients

2oz Butter, softened (4 Tbsp)
8oz Self Raising/Rising Flour (2 Cups, minus about 1 Tbsp)
3oz Extra Strong Cheddar Cheese, grated (that's about 1 cup, packed)

Directions

Mix butter into flour.
Add cheese and mix well.
Add milk in a stream while you mix.
Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out with cookie cutters.
Place on parchment paper (or a greased pan) and brush with a little milk.
Bake in a 350F (gas mark 4, 176C) oven for about 115 minute or until golden.

Variations
Instead of cheese, add:

For Fruit Scones:
1oz Sugar 
2oz Dried Fruit
These are also wonderful served with butter or jams.

For Plain Scones:
1oz sugar
Serve these with clotted cream and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.