Sunday, April 08, 2012

Happy Easter!

A very Happy Easter to you all!
I thought I would stop by with some Easter Dress fun ;)

Oh and some goodies :)  The hot cross buns came from this recipe over at the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day blog. The recipe is delicious, and makes a huge amount of dough, so you can eat these for a few days!  I served some homeschoolers who were here for an Easter Hunt (I found one of the missing eggs today, by the way, ladies ;)), AND for our breakfast on Saturday- with plenty left over for the next week!

I made my daughter's dress from 1939 DuBarry pattern 2325B.  It is a child's 2 piece dress.  The under dress is a skirt and camisole in one, with an over-blouse and contrast collar.  DD chose the short sleeved version for its 'puffy sleeves' and I insisted on adding the bow tie ;)

I used good old calico cotton for the blouse and cotton broadcloth for the skirt.  And blue is a tried and true colour that looks good on my little blue-eyed, strawberry blond :)
I had enough ribbon to create a hair clop to match for her too.  She loves the bow a LOT.  It is really easy to make too- I just hot glued a bow to a hair clip!
The kids were up early enough to get into their baskets before I could get photos.  My son is camera shy, so I made do with DD letting shoot photos of her.  This is after chocolate managed to get on the collar AND on her skirt!

 Bubbles were in the basket.  Bubbles were consequently blown ;)

I stayed up late Easter Saturday to finish this bolero for her.  It is from a 1930s pattern.  You can find it here in the Picasa web albums.  And you can see the embroidery below...


I finished THAT part this morning!

For as long as I can remember, Easter has been a time I associate with a new dress.  We always dressed up for Easter.  Mum has lovely memories of my grandad making her Easter bonnets.  My DD's bonnet was the Prairie one I posted about the other day.  She refused to wear it today because she wanted to show off her bow though ;)
But all this to say, she was not the only one dressed up.  Recognise it?

There is the collar, trim and belt I made the other week.  And my gloves- and the snood too... yes this is the dress they were intended for.  I love the skirt of this dress, but I have had such troubles with the bodice.  My collar and belt improved the look a lot... but the neckline rubbed my neck raw!

A shame.  I love the back especially- see my little buttons at the top.  Originally it was a zipper fastening.  I shall be cutting into the bodice to lower the neckline slightly so it will not rub against my neck.  You can also see in this picture my daughter's new basket- she really, really wanted a basket like mine!

But what a beautiful day it was today!  Our gardens are lovely this time of year, aren't they?  Of course, all you can really see is our lawn :)

Edited to add- there is now a SEW ALONG to go with the yarn along for those of us who love to sew :)
Many of you already know Elizabeth- go see the sewing!
 needle and thREAD

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I was so impressed with your daughter's handmade dress and bolero. Your dress is jaw-dropping! Amazing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jill :)
    Thank you Elizabeth - it is always funny to go out in the vintage clothes, because the old men stare so ;) I think they are worried that they are having a flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Elizabeth's Needle and ThREAD post. I can only hope that one day I will be able to read one of those vintage patterns. I may as well be doing a Japanese pattern. ;-) Love the dresses. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are so talented! I love your daughters dress...and the color is perfect! I too love the older vintage looking outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, heavens, you're a wonderful seamstress! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Easter pictures! Here is my sewing link (I also posted several dresses I made on Tuesday): http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/bell-bottom-baby.html

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.